What you need:
• 2 lbs ground beef
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
• 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
• 1 tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
What you do:
• In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, garlic, onion powder, mustard seed, curing salt, water, black pepper and liquid smoke.
• Mix in the red pepper flakes if desired.
• Roll the mixture into a 2 inch diameter log, and wrap tightly in aluminum foil.
• Refrigerate for 24 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
• Make a few slits in the bottom of the roll to allow the fat to drain.
• Place roll onto a broiler pan, and fill the bottom part of the pan with about 1 inch of water to keep the salami moist.
• Bake for 90 minutes in the preheated oven.
• Remove from pan and cool completely before unwrapping the salami.