- 1 large pot 3/4 full with water, boiling
- 1 whole duck
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 cups oil, hot
- Soak the whole duck in the large pot of boiling water.
- Remove it as soon as the skin changes color (after about 20 minutes).
- Sprinkle the inside of the duck with sugar, salt, and five-spice powder.
- Rub the skin of the duck with molasses.
- Truss the duck with string and hang in an airing place for 2 hours, or put the duck in the refrigerator overnight without any cover.
- This will dry the skin of the duck so that it will be crispy.
- Preheat rotisserie oven to 375 degrees and bake for 45 minutes or until the skin is reddish brown. Before serving, pour hot oil over the skin to increase the crispiness.
- Carve the skin and meat from the duck, and serve.