• 1 onion, peeled and halved
• 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
• 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
• 2 tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
• 9 cups water
• Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker.
• Pour in the water and stir to combine.
• Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
• Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid.
• Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.