• 2 pounds fresh bratwurst sausages
• 4 onions, thinly sliced
• 1 cup butter
• 3 (12 fluid ounce) cans or bottles beer
• 10 hoagie rolls
• Prick bratwurst with fork to prevent them from exploding as they cook. Place in a large stock pot with the onions, butter, and beer. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
• Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
• Lightly oil grate. Cook bratwurst on preheated grill for 10 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Serve hot off the grill with onions on hoagie rolls.