• 3 oranges, navel work well
• 2 cup water
• 1 cup sugar
• Cut the top and bottom from the orange.
• Cut the peel each orange into 4 vertical pieces and remove from orange in one piece.
• Cut the peel into thin strips.
• Bring a pot of water to boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook the peels in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain and rinse.
• Bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium heat in a sauce pan.
• Add the peel, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the peels are tender, about 45 minutes.
• Drain and toss the peels in the sugar.
Note: You want to drain the orange peels well. If you just throw them straight from the syrup into the sugar, the sugar will clump up. (Tip: Save the syrup and use it in ice tea.)
• Place the peels on a cooling rack and let them sit until the coating is dry, anywhere from 24-48 hours.