• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 3-pound chicken
• 1 large onion, finely chopped
• 3 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 cup water • 1 cup dry white wine
• Juice of one lemon
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• ½ cup sour cream
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• flat-leaf parsley to garnish
• Preheat the oven to 375 F. Heat the oil in a roasting pan and brown the chicken all over.
• Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the next 4 ingredients and cook for 3 minutes.
• Pour the water, wine and lemon juice into the roasting pan. Sprinkle on half of the parsley and season well. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 1 ½ – 1 ¾ hours or until tender, basting occasionally to prevent it from drying out.
• Remove the chicken from the roasting pan and keep warm. Put the roasting pan on the stove and stir in the sour cream over low heat, adding a little extra water if necessary to make the juices into a thick pouring sauce.
• Serve the chicken with sauce.