• 1 pound lean ground beef or ground boneless chuck
• small amount of shortening
• salt and pepper
• 4 hamburger buns
• Lettuce and Tomato
• Cheese (optional)
• Divide ground beef into 4 equal sections, using knife.
• Shape into balls, gently using finger tips. The less you handle meat the better.
• Flatten out balls again, using finger tips, not palms of hand. You should have 4 patties, each ½ inch thick.
• Rub frying pan lightly with shortening.
• Heat pan over medium to high heat.
• Place meat patties in pan and brown on one side. Turn with spatula and brown on other side.
• Immediately lower heat and continue cooking until done, about 5 minutes more for those who like hamburgers rare, 10 minutes more for those who like medium, and 12 minutes more for well done.
• Season after cooking with salt and pepper. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato. Add cheese if desired.