• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup sour cream
• 1 1/2 tablespoons grated zest and 1 1/2 tablespoons juice from 2 lemons
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 3 large eggs at room temperature, beaten
• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the cake:
• Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees F.
• Grease and flour 8 1/2-by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
• Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl.
• Whisk sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla in second bowl.
• Stir granulated sugar and lemon zest in large bowl until zest is evenly distributed.
• With electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar mixture until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
• Add eggs in three additions and mix until combined.
• Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of sour cream mixture.
• Mix on low until smooth, about 30 seconds.
• Use rubber spatula to give batter final stir.
• Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
• Tap pan against counter several times.
• Bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached, 60-70 minutes.
• Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes.
• Turn out onto rack.
• Cool completely, about 2 hours.
For the glaze:
• Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice in bowl until smooth.
• Brush glaze over cake.
• Let glaze set for 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: Cake can be wrapped tightly in plastic and stored at room temperature for 5 days.
Goes great with Strawberry Sauce.