• 2 lb russet potatoes, unpeeled and scrubbed
• 5 medium garlic cloves, peeled
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 cup olive oil plus 2 additional tablespoons
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
• Place potatoes in large saucepan with water to cover by 1 inch.
• Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and cook at bare simmer until just tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
• While potatoes are simmering, mince 1 garlic clove.
• Place minced garlic on cutting board and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Using flat side of chef’s knife, drag garlic and salt back and forth across cutting board in small circular motions until garlic is ground into smooth paste.
• Transfer to medium bowl and set aside.
• Mince remaining 4 cloves garlic.
• Place in small saucepan with 1/4 cup olive oil and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until garlic foams and is soft, fragrant, and golden, 5 minutes.
• Transfer oil and garlic to bowl with raw garlic paste.
• Drain cooked potatoes; set food mill or ricer over now-empty saucepan. Using paring knife, peel skins from potatoes. Working in batches, cut peeled potatoes into large chunks and process through food mill or ricer into saucepan.
• Add remaining salt, pepper, lemon juice, and uncooked olive oil to bowl with garlic and cooked oil and whisk to combine.
• Fold mixture into potatoes and serve.