• 6 egg yolks
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 1 pound mascarpone cheese
• 2 cups strong espresso, cooled
• 2 teaspoons rum
• 24 packaged ladyfingers
• 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish or cocoa powder
• In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes.
• Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.
• Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.
• In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum.
• Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds. Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart.
• Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.
• Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
• Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.
• Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours.
• Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings or cocoa powder.