• 6 large catfish fillets
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup cornmeal
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 cup peanut oil
• Put the catfish a shallow pan and cover with water.
• Add a tablespoon of the salt, cover with plastic wrap and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
• Mix the cornmeal, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the black pepper in a plastic bag.
• Drain the water from the catfish and transfer the fillets one at a time to the bag with the cornmeal.
• Shake the bag to coat the fish and place on a sheet tray or platter.
• Heat the oil in Dutch oven to 300 degrees F.
• Drop a few fillets into the hot oil.
• Do not overcrowd.
• Cook the fish until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
• Remove the pieces with a slotted spoon and put on a paper towel to drain any extra oil.