• 1 (2.2-pound) shoulder of lamb
• Olive oil
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large bunch fresh rosemary
• 1 bulb garlic, unpeeled, broken into cloves
• Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F.
• Slash the fat side of the lamb all over with a sharp knife.
• Lay half the sprigs of rosemary and half the garlic cloves on the bottom of a high-sided roasting pan, rub the lamb all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
• Place it in the pan on top of the rosemary and garlic, and put the rest of the rosemary and garlic on top of the lamb.
• Tightly cover the tray with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
• Turn the oven down immediately to 325 degrees F and cook for 4 hours – it’s done if you can pull the meat apart easily with 2 forks.