• 3/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
• In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until they are just combined.
• Add the vanilla.
• In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture.
• Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
• Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk.
• Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
• Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and cut in 3 by 1-inch rectangles.
• Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
• Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.