•2 cups flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling dough
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• butter for sauteing
• 2 large potatoes, peeled
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 TB spoons butter
• 2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
• salt, pepper
• Mix together the flour and salt.
•Beat the egg, then add all at once to the flour mixture.
• Add the sour cream and the softened butter and work until the dough loses most of its stickiness.
• Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or overnight.
• Peel and boil the potatoes until soft (about 30 minutes).
• While the potatoes are boiling saute the onion in butter until soft and translucent.
• Mash the potatoes with the sauted onions and cheddar cheese .
• Add salt and pepper to taste.
• Let the potato mixture cool.
• Roll the pierogi dough on a floured board or counter top until 1/8″ thick.
• Cut circles of dough (2″ for small pierogies and 3-3 1/2″ for large pierogies) with a cookie cutter or drinking glass.
• Place a small ball of filling (about a tablespoon) on each dough round and fold the dough over, forming a semi-circle.
• Press the edges together with the tines of a fork.
• Boil the perogies a few at a time in a large pot of water.
• Boil for 8-10 minutes.
• Rinse in cool water and let dry.
• Melt butter in a skillet.
• Add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy.
• Serve with a side of sour cream.