• 1 large pot 3/4 full with water, boiling
• 1 whole duck
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup salt
• 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
• 1 cup molasses
• 1/2 cups oil, hot
• Soak the whole duck in the large pot of boiling water.
• Remove it as soon as the skin changes color (after about 20 minutes).
• Sprinkle the inside of the duck with sugar, salt, and five-spice powder.
• Rub the skin of the duck with molasses.
• Truss the duck with string and hang in an airing place for 2 hours, or put the duck in the refrigerator overnight without any cover.
• This will dry the skin of the duck so that it will be crispy.
• Preheat rotisserie oven to 375 degrees and bake for 45 minutes or until the skin is reddish brown. Before serving, pour hot oil over the skin to increase the crispiness.
• Carve the skin and meat from the duck, and serve with Mandarin Pancakes.