• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 1 cup water
• 1 3/4 cups corn syrup
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 4 egg whites
• 3/4 cup nut meats, chopped
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, and water.
• Stir only until sugar has dissolved. Do not stir after this point.
• Cook syrup mixture until it reaches 238 degrees F on a candy thermometer, bringing it to a soft ball stage.
• While the syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• Just as soon as syrup reaches soft ball stage, pour 1/3 of the hot syrup over the beaten egg whites, beating vigorously.
• Continue cooking the remaining syrup until it reaches the hard-ball stage.
• Continue beating the egg whites and syrup mixture, while the remainder of the syrup is cooking.
• Pour remaining syrup over egg white mixture.
• Beat until mixture will hold shape when dropped from a spoon.
• Add nuts and vanilla.
• Pour into boxes lined with waxed paper an slice as needed.
Makes about 2 pounds.