• 1 lb button mushrooms
• 1 1/3 cup flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1 1/4 cup beer, cold
• 3 heaped teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• sunflower oil, for deep-frying
• Pour the sunflower oil into your deep fat fryer or a large frying pan and heat it to 190ºC/375ºF.
• Mix the salt and pepper together and season the fish fillets on both sides.
• Whisk the flour, beer and baking powder together until nice and shiny.
• Dip mushrooms into batter and coat well, then fry in batches in the hot oil for a few minutes, or until crispy and well browned.
• Remove mushrooms from oil and place on plate lined with paper towels to drain off excess oil.
• Serve with dipping sauce of choice.