• Place cherries in medium saucepan and place over heat. Cover. After the cherries lose considerable juice, which may take a few minutes, remove from heat.
• In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together.
• Pour this mixture into the hot cherries and mix well.
• Add the almond extract and lemon juice, and mix.
• Return the mixture to the stove and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently. • Remove from the heat and let cool. If the filling is too thick, add a little water, too thin, add a little more cornstarch.
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
• Prepare your crust.
•Divide in half.
•Roll out each piece large enough to fit into an 8 to 9-inch pan.
• Pour cooled cherry mixture into the crust.
• Dot with butter.
• Moisten edge of bottom crust.
• Place top crust on and flute the edge of the pie.
• Make a slit in the middle of the crust for steam to escape.
• Sprinkle with sugar.
•Bake for about 50 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.
If you are a big fan of honey cakes but don’t like rolling out the dough, this cake is a great solution for you – Honey cake that requires no rolling! It will have less layers than standard honey cake, but they will be just as tall and delicious.