• 225g grated, strong cheese such as Cheddar or Cheshire
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 1 level teaspoon dry mustard
• 2 teaspoons flour
• Shake of pepper
• 4 tablespoons beer, Guinness or milk (Guiness gives a stronger flavour)
• 4 slices bread toasted on 1 side only
• Put the cheese, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, flour and pepper into a saucepan.
• Mix well and then add the beer, Guinness or milk to moisten. Do not make it too wet!!
• Stir over a gentle heat until all is melted, and when it is a thickish paste, stop stirring, and swivel it around the saucepan, which it will do quite easily.
• Leave to cool a little, and meanwhile toast the bread on one side only.
• Spread the rarebit over the untoasted side and brown under a hot grill.
P.S. This mixture can be made and kept in the refrigerator for several days if required. Sweet white wine can be used instead of beer.