• 1 small spaghetti squash, about 2 1/4 pounds
• 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped mixed soft herbs, such as basil, chives, chervil, parsley and sage (optional)
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
• Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise and place, cut side down, in a baking dish.
• Add enough water to come 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
• Bake for 45 minutes, until the squash is easily pierced with a paring knife.
• Turn squash over and cover with foil again and continue to cook another 15 minutes, until the squash is very tender.
• Remove from the oven, uncover, and allow to cool slightly.
• Using a spoon, remove the seeds and discard.
• Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a mixing bowl.
• Heat a skillet.
•Add the butter, spaghetti squash, herbs (optional), salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to heat and combine.
• Serve immediately or cover and keep warm until ready to serve.