• 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
• 2 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
• 1 lb fresh chicken livers, trimmed
• ⅓ cup white wine
• 3 tablespoons heavy cream, plus more as needed
• Kosher salt and pepper to taste
• Put a large, heavy sauté pan over medium heat, and melt 4 tablespoons of the butter until it begins to foam.
• Add the onions, and sauté them until translucent for about 10 minutes, being careful not to allow them to brown.
• Add the livers and white wine, and bring the heat to high.
• Cook, occasionally stirring the livers around in the pan with a spoon, until the wine has reduced and the livers are lightly browned but still very soft and pink on the inside, approximately 5 minutes.
• Remove the pan from the stove, and put its contents into a blender or food processor, along with the cream and the remaining butter.
• Purée until smooth, adding a little more cream if necessary.
• Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt if necessary.
• Pack the pâté into a glass jar or bowl, then smooth the top with a spatula.
• Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about two hours or up to five days.