• 2/3 cup sugar
• 1 1/2 cups whole milk
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 6 egg yolks
• 2 whole eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• Preheat oven to 350 F.
• Gather a 9-inch cake pan and a large casserole or sauté pan that will accommodate the cake pan and water.
• Add sugar to a small sauté pan and place over medium heat.
• Cook sugar, without stirring, for 8 to 10 minutes until it’s amber colored. Do not look away for a second!
• Pour the caramel into a 9-inch cake pan and tip the pan to completely coat the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
• Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
• In a separate pan, simmer milk, cream, and vanilla.
• Add white chocolate, sugar, and salt until you see a whiff of steam. Turn off and cover for 10 minutes.
• Slowly whisk in egg yolks and eggs, incorporating them into the milk mixture. Pour mixture into caramel pan.
• Place cake pan in larger pan and fill with boiling water until the water is about 1/2 way up the sides of the cake pan. Cover cake pan with foil and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
• Uncover and continue baking until the edges are set but the center is still a bit jiggly. (About 20 minutes more).
• Remove the hot water bath from the oven and allow flan to cool in water bath.
• Refrigerate overnight.
• Run a knife around the edges of the pan and invert onto a platter.
• If the flan resists this move, gently heat the flan in a pan of warm water for 1 to 2 minutes and try again.
Tips: You can either make a delicious all whites omelette or Meringue Cookies with the leftover egg whites.