• 2 pinches good quality saffron threads
• 1 TB spoon olive oil
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 cups rice
• 3 3/4 cups chicken stock
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Take saffron threads and put them in a spice mortar. Grind the spice with a pestle to a powdery consistency.
• Pour 1/4 cup of hot water into the mortar. Let the saffron soak for 5 minutes.
• In a large heavy pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium.
• Add the minced onion to the pot and saute for about 10 minutes, till the onion begins to caramelize.
• Add rice to the pot and saute for one minute longer, mixing the rice together with the cooked onion.
• Pour the yellow saffron liquid evenly across the top of the rice.
• Add broth and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil.
• Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Let the rice cook for 20 minutes, or until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
• Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.