• 1 small head white cabbage, including outer green leaves (2 1/2 pounds)
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• Cut the cabbage in half and, with the cut-side down, slice it as thinly as possible around the core, as though you were making coleslaw. Discard the core.
• Melt the butter in a large saute pan or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
• Add the cabbage, salt, pepper, and garlic, and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender and begins to brown. Season, to taste, and serve warm