• 1 beef tongue, 2 -3 lb.
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
• 1 teaspoon whole allspice
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 8 oz sliced mushrooms
• 1 cup beef broth
• 1 cup cream
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• Rinse the tongue and place in a large stockpot. Add enough water to cover.
• Bring to a boil. Skim off the foam from the top.
• Lower heat to a simmer, add the bay leaves, peppercorns and allspice, and cook, partially covered, 3-4 hours.
• Remove the cooked beef tongue to a cutting board.
• Put the tongue under cold water for few minutes.
• Remove the skin, cut in thick chunks.
• To make the sauce, heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
• Add oil and swirl to coat.
• Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
• Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for additional 5 minutes.
• Add broth, cream, salt, and pepper.
• Bring to a boil over high heat.
• Add the tongue, cover it with the sauce, lower heat to a simmer.
• Cook covered, for about an hour.