• 1 bone-in rib eye steak, 1 1/2 inches thick
• olive oil, to coat
• Kosher salt and ground black pepper
• Bring the steak to room temperature.
• Place a 10-to-12-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees F.
• When the oven reaches temperature, remove the skillet and place on the range over high heat for 5 minutes.
• Coat the steak lightly with oil and sprinkle both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper.
• Immediately place the steak in the middle of the hot, dry skillet.
• Cook 30 seconds without moving.
• Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes.
• Flip the steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium-rare steak. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)
• Remove the steak from the skillet, cover loosely with foil and rest for 2 minutes.
• Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.