• 3/4 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
•6 medium garlic cloves, minced
• 3 scallions, white and green parts separated, each cut into 1/4-inch pieces
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
• Prepare the sauce: in a small bowl, whisk together the water, cornstarch, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce. Set aside.
• Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly.
• In a large nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil over high heat until very hot.
• Add the chicken, garlic and white parts of the scallions.
• Stir-fry until the chicken is lightly browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes.
• Turn the heat down to medium and add the rice vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
• Add the sauce mixture to the chicken.
• Stir in the scallion greens, cashews and sesame oil.
• Cook, tossing, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is nicely thickened, about 3 minute.
• Remove from the heat.
• Serve immediately.
Serve over rice.